Metro Home Mayor's Office Metro Council Online Services Help

Satisfying a Traffic Ticket

State Traffic Tickets

Stop Sign

Only Metro traffic tickets are processed through this office; therefore, if you were issued a State Trooper or State Misdemeanor citation in Davidson County, you should contact the Criminal Court Clerk’s Office. To view sample State citations, click here.

Lakewood Traffic Tickets

Stop Sign

If you were issued a traffic ticket by the City of Lakewood, the Metro Council passed Resolution No. RS2011-5 on October 4, 2011 waiving unpaid fines related to Lakewood traffic tickets. Persons with a suspended driver's license resulting from unpaid traffic tickets issued by the City Of Lakewood should click here for information regarding the process of re-instating their license.

Metro Traffic Tickets

Stop Light

A Metro traffic ticket may contain up to five (5) individual violations, each of which is treated separately. For example, a motorist who receives a ticket with two violations may plead guilty to and pay one of the violations but plead not guilty and request a Court date on the other violation. To view a sample Metro traffic ticket, click here.

Traffic Court Information Sheet

At the time you were issued the traffic ticket, you should have received a copy of the Traffic Court Information Sheet that provides you with important information about how to respond to the ticket, including the forms you need to request a court date or register for Traffic School. To view a copy of the Information Sheet, click here.

How Long Do I Have?

The deadline for satisfying all violations on a ticket is generally forty-five (45) calendar days from the date the ticket was written. If that date falls on a weekend or Clerk's Office holiday, the deadline is the next business day. This deadline is known as the “Compliance Date”. Use our Compliance Date Calculator to calculate your compliance date or let the "Wizard" do it for you (see below).

If you fail to comply by the “compliance date”, a default judgment will be entered against you, causing the amount you owe to increase, the suspension of your driver’s license and the garnishment of your wages or bank accounts.

What Options Do I Have?

You can satisfy a traffic violation prior to the Compliance Date by using one of the three options listed below.

  1. Pay: Plead Guilty and Pay Fine and Other Fees;
  2. Plead Not Guilty: Request a Court Hearing;
  3. Apply for Traffic School: Plead Guilty and Apply for Traffic School;

If your Compliance Date has passed, you will need to call the Traffic Warrant Division to obtain the amount you owe and discuss your payment method.

How Much Do I Owe?

Unless your only violation was failure to have proof of insurance and you prove you had insurance, all traffic tickets have an administrative court cost. You must then add any fines and fees for each violation on the ticket. The amount due on each violation is determined by which of the above three options you choose for that violation and whether you pay on time. Once you have decided which of the above options you want to use on each violation, use our "Pricing Wizard" to answer a few questions and get the total due. Or, if you just want to pay the full amount due, you can bypass almost all of the questions and get a total by clicking here.